How to create a report
Keeping track of your trips and creating a report is an organized, tax-compliant way to document your mileage reimbursement claims or tax deductions. In this article, you'll learn step by step how to create your customized reports on mobile and web, then share or download them as PDF or Excel files.
In this article
How to create a report on your phone
- To create a report from your phone, tap on the Report icon on the app's home screen. If this is the first report you are creating, you’ll go right to the "Generate report" screen.
- You can create your custom report by selecting the vehicle, workplace, date interval, trip type (Business or Private/Personal).
- In your report details, you can edit the Driver details (name, address & personal ID number), the License no. and the Workplace details (name & address). These details will be added to your report’s letterhead.
- If you would like to preview the PDF version of your report, tap, Preview PDF.
- After creating your first report, you can create more from the "Report" tab in the app by tapping the plus + sign at the top right corner of your screen.
The date interval can be based on your reporting periods or on standard filters ( since last report / This year / Last year / This tax year / Last tax year / Custom date range)
If you make changes to your logged trips (or log new trips) after creating a report, those changes will not be seen on the saved report and you will need to create a new one.
→ Once you create a report, it will be saved under "My reports". You can now Send your report or Download it as a PDF / Excel file directly through the app.
→ To share your report, tap on the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen, enter the recipient's email, and write a short note. If you are on a team, you will be able to send it directly to your team for approval.
→ To download your report, tap on the download icon at the top right corner of your screen. You'll be given a choice between downloading your report as either a PDF or Excel file. You will then be able to save the document on your device.
→ To rename a saved report, find the report you wish to rename and tap to open it. Then tap on the three dots at the top right corner of your screen and select Rename.
How to create a report from your web account
- Log in to your Driversnote web account then click on Reports to navigate to your report overview.
- If this is your first report, you’ll be taken directly to create your first report.
- Generate your customized report by selecting the vehicle, workplace, date interval, trip type, and workplace. You can also choose whether or not to include your odometer readings within reports (keep in mind, it may not be a requirement in your country)
- In your report details, you can edit the Driver details (name, address & personal ID number), the License no and the Workplace details (name & address). These details will be added to your report’s letterhead.
- If you’d like to preview the PDF version of your report, click Preview. Click Save and view report to save your report as an Excel or PDF file.
- When you select Download, you’ll be given a choice between downloading your report as either a PDF or Excel file. You will then be able to save the document, attach it to an email or print it from your computer.
- If you’d like to share your report directly from the app, click Send to email your report and attach a message to the recipient
- Saved reports will be visible when you click Reports in the header. If you receive reports yourself, you can also see them here under "Team reports".
- To create a new one from this page, just click +Create report in the upper right corner.
What should I include in my mileage report?
What your mileage report must contain depends on your local tax authority’s requirements and your personal situation. Driversnote helps you be compliant by providing all the necessary details you can be obliged to fill out, but it is your responsibility to log all the needed information. You can read about mileage log requirements in our guides for the US, Canada, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, and the UK.
Q: Can I set a periodic reminder for creating a report?
You can set a custom reporting period to create mileage reports with the correct time frame for your deductions and reimbursement. We’ll then notify you via email when you need to create a report. See how to set a reporting period and reminder here.
Q: I made changes to my trips. Why is my report not changing?
Note that if you record new trips or make changes to your already logged ones after creating a report, those changes will not be seen on the saved report and you’ll need to create a new one.
Q: I have several workplaces. How do I make one single report for all of them?
It is not possible to create one single report including all workplaces. You can only make one report per workplace. Please note that after downloading each of them as an Excel doc, you can always combine (stitch the reports together) and edit them there.
Q: I have several vehicles. How do I make one single report for all of them?
It’s not possible to create one single report including all vehicles. You can only make one report per vehicle. Please note that after downloading each of them as an Excel doc, you can always combine (stitch the reports together) and edit them there.
Q: I only want to show my business-related trips. How do I do this?
When creating a report, there are several filters. Here you can choose whether to show business, personal/private, or both.
Q: I want my odometer readings included in the report.
When you create and save the report you can choose to have odometer readings included. They will show up next to each trip.
Q: I want to edit my report. How do I do this?
All reports are downloadable in excel format. Here you can edit them if you need to add any additional details.