How to track & log trips
With Driversnote you can track and log trips in several different ways:
While it is not possible to create round trips or multi-stop trips, you can log each trip separately from a starting point to a single destination. This ensures that the logbook meets international standards. However, we are looking into making it easier to log round trips, return trips and trips with multiple stops.
Log a trip manually in the mobile app or the website
Forgot to track a trip or not a fan of real-time tracking? You can always log it manually with the app or the website dashboard.
Log a trip manually in the mobile app
- Tap the plus sign.
- Select Create a manual trip
- Enter your starting location (e.g. your home address) and your stop location (e.g. your work address). When entering a location, you can either search for a name/street, choose among the selected locations or choose one of your saved "Custom locations".
- The app will calculate your route. Select from the options, if multiple routes are available.
- Review your "Trip details". Tap on the date and time under the starting and ending addresses to edit when the trip took place. Write a note pertaining to your trip. In most countries, you need to note who you visited. Also, remember to classify your trip (e.g. Business, Personal/Private, etc). If you need to edit a trip, you can do that either from the app or on the Driversnote website. Learn How to edit a trip.
You can add the locations that you visit regularly to your "Locations". This will save you time when creating tips manually. To create custom locations, under Settings select Locations, then Create new location.
If you're logging a trip on the mobile app, you should have several options available for route selection. However, if it's from the website, there will be only one route generated.
To delete a trip, select the trip you wish to delete and tap on the garbage bin icon in the top right corner of your screen.
Log a trip manually on the website
- Sign in to your Driversnote account.
- Click Add trip at the top right corner of your screen and select the date you need to add a trip.
- Type in your starting location (e.g. your home address) and your destination (e.g. your work address). Choose the purpose of your trip (e.g. Business, Personal/Private, etc). Write a note pertaining to your trip (in most countries your need to note who you visited).
- Click on the start or stop time to fill the date and time of your trip.
- Click Save.
It is not possible to edit the vehicle of a trip on the website. You can only edit a trip's vehicle in the "Trip details" in the mobile app.
To delete a trip, go to Your trips, select the trip that you wish to delete and then click Delete.
Track a trip with your phone's GPS
- Tap the plus sign and select Start tracking a trip. The app will automatically detect your starting location.
- When your trip has ended, tap Stop at the upper right corner to complete the log.
If you don't stop the trip yourself, the app will try to ascertain when you stopped based on your movements. By default, the app will stop a trip after two hours of no movement.
- Review your trip details and classify your trip (e.g. Business, Personal/Private, etc). Write a note pertaining to your trip (in most countries you need to note who you visited).
If you need to, you can edit or delete a trip either from the mobile app or the Driversnote website.
Automate GPS tracking with an iBeacon
If you just received your iBeacon, read this article to learn how to set it up.
If you drive a lot and you forget to start the GPS tracking or if you are tired of logging each and every trip manually, then you might want to consider automating your mileage log with an iBeacon.
The iBeacon is a small device which you place in your vehicle (usually in the glove compartment or in the centre console) and which transmits a Bluetooth signal that your phone detects. Using this information and more, the Driversnote app now automatically starts and stops tracking.
The iBeacon comes for free with our annual subscription or can be bought alongside the monthly subscription for an additional fee. Log in to see prices in your local currency.